Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Classic Categories #1


                                               
Traci (Marie) Hollandsworth
September 11, 2013

                                                Classic Categories #1

            I most identify with the idea of Compatibilism. I believe in determinism and free will as a joint effort in life. Free will is offered to everyone but some things in life are already set in motion by determinism. The example given on p.7 is exactly the way I feel about life; we are dealt a certain hand of cards and how we play it is up to us. After experiencing life for a certain number of years we can look back and play the hands a little differently. I personally believe that we can overcome any difficulties that come our way. Just because we inherit certain genetic qualities that are beyond our control doesn’t mean that we cannot choose a different path and become the exception.

            Theological determinism makes perfect sense to me through my faith. I believe that God does write the script for my life; and he lets me have a hand in it by giving him my trust and putting my faith in him. When I do that…things work out for the better good. When I have tried to make my own plans it never works. In the bible the Lord says that he knows the plans he has for us. I have said thanks for many unanswered prayers. There are so many things that I prayed for at the time that I am so very thankful never came to pass. I can see now exactly why those things did not work and why the greater plan is much better than any I could have. I believe that we are each given opportunities to make the best choices possible, but sometimes we don’t. Grace and Mercy are extended to each of us.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment