Friday, September 13, 2013

Compatibilism

As stated in my previous blog when I addressed the question who is writing the script of my life, I definitely believe it is a collaborative effort between my own free-will and God. Doing more research and more readings, I have discovered I am not the only one who thinks the way that I do. The category I would fall in, along with others, is Compatibilism. Compatibilist believe that some of the details in your life are already determined but you also have the ability to make your own choices. So in my life, I believe that all the overall and big moments in my life are pre-determined. To me, this would mean things like my college, my degree, the man I marry, huge events in my future, and the people in my life. The free-will, my free-will, comes in when I make decisions to get to the big moments or the path that I take. So for example, my roommate has had a huge impact on my life. It took me choosing to be in a sorority, choosing to be in Greek Sing, choosing to get closer with other women in my sorority, choosing to then live with these women along with a woman I didn't know. This woman I didn't know turns out to be my roommate. If I wouldn't have done that I might not have met her, but to me I believe she belongs in my life. If I didn't meet her that way, I would have met her some other way. God wants her in my life, so He would have got her there. This is what I mean by my big moments are pre-determined, but the path I take is through my own free-will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment